Saturday, October 07, 2006

NW Style: Cacao - drink chocolate


Yesterday was undeniably autumn. My favorite time of year. Winter in Portland can be really great if you are into drizzling skies, grey clouds and Goth music. Spring is a resurrection with sweet and delicate blooms bursting from the ground. Summer is sunny, warm, lovely and you can eat strawberries warm from the sun - absolutely divine. Autumn brings out the deep crimson leaves, curling up near the fireplace, enjoying fresh apple cider, more time and space for reading a delicious novel or three, and now... I have begun a new ritual - drinking chocolate on chilly days at Cacao.

The first time I had this incredibly rich cup of nirvana was while traveling in Barcelona years ago. Then I happened upon it again this spring at the Choclatada dinner hosted by chef Gregory Lyons in the Seattle chocolate factory of Theo Chocolates. I must say that knowing I can simply head downtown and order up a cup makes me heady.

Although this is definitely my favorite thing about Cacao there is serious competition for my attention. The proprietor has turned me onto a dark caramel chocolate topped with fleur de sel. Combining one of the most precious salts in the world with dark chocolate and caramel - it's rare for me to find a new chocolate experience and this one is brilliant.

Conveniently located within about three blocks of Powells bookstore, just below the delicious sushi bar Masu. Being a Chocolate fiend I'm sure this will be the demise of me. This place even had Chocolate Cosmos flowers on their cafe tables! It's the small things in life really.

Cacao
414 SW 13th Ave
Portland, OR 97205

Store hours:
Tuesday - Saturday 11 to 7:30
Sunday 12 to 5
Monday Closed

Cacao Website

1 Comments:

Blogger Serena Davidson Photography said...

My pleasure! Cacao is superb and we are so lucky to have them right here in River City. Thank you for your compliments on my blog Patrick. The ideas you shared with me inspired me to start it and now there seems to be no end to my enthusiasm for constant additions.

Saturday, October 14, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home